1. Who we are
2. How we use your personal data
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where we need to perform a contract we have entered into with you.
- Where we need to comply with a legal obligation.
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
We may also use your personal data in the following situations, which are likely to be less common:
- Where we need to protect your vital interests (or someone else’s interests).
- Where it is needed in the public interest or for official purposes.
Generally we do not rely on consent as a legal basis for processing your personal data other than in relation to sending direct marketing communications to you via email. You have the right to withdraw consent to marketing at any time by contacting us.
3. The personal data we collect from you
Enquiries and Ticket Purchases
You may give us information about you by purchasing a ticket through our ticket platform, by signing up to our marketing mailing list, or by corresponding with us by email, phone or otherwise.
When you request information or make enquiries about any of our services or events, we may collect the following categories of personal data about you:
- Personal contact details such as name and personal email addresses.
We may use the personal data you provide in order to fulfil your request or respond to your enquiry. It is in our legitimate interests to use your personal data in this way so that you receive the information you have requested.
If you purchase a ticket to attend one of our events, we may collect the following categories of personal data about you:
- Personal contact details such as name, title, addresses, telephone numbers, and personal email addresses.
It is in our legitimate interests to collect and use the above information in order to provide you with a ticket for the event. We may also use the information we collect to contact you regarding administrative matters relating to our events and services.
Where you have explicitly consented to do so, we may use your personal data to inform you of special offers and new or existing services or events we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about. This may also include surveys or questionnaires so that we can learn more about your needs and interests.
From time to time we may use your personal data to offer you the opportunity to participate in contests, sweepstakes and other promotions. When you enter you should carefully review any rules, as they may contain additional information about our use of your personal data.
If you fail to provide personal data
Where we need to collect personal data by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you and you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (for example, to provide you with goods or services). In this case, we may have to cancel a product or service you have with us but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
Parents and guardians
We collect personal data as described above. However if you are under 16 years of age and want to request information, purchase a ticket, attend an event or contact us, you must ask your parent or guardian for permission.
4. When and how we share your personal data with others
We may share your personal data with third parties where required by law, where it is necessary to perform our contract with you or where we have a legitimate interest in doing so. Such third parties may include the following:
- Our game runners: We may share your personal data with the people who design and run megagames for us. These service providers may be supplied with or have access to your personal data solely for the purpose of delivering the games you have signed up for.
- Our service providers: We may share your personal data with other companies that perform certain services on our behalf. These services may include processing payments, providing customer service and marketing assistance. These service providers may be supplied with or have access to your personal data solely for the purpose of providing these services to us or on our behalf.
5. Transfer of your personal data to other countries
We have participants, volunteers and service providers all over the world, so we may need to transfer the personal data you provide to us to other countries which may be outside the United Kingdom.
6. Security of your information
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those who have a legitimate need to know. They will only process your personal information on our instructions or as otherwise agreed and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
7. Our storage and retention of your personal data
It is important that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal information changes during your working relationship with us.
In some circumstances we may anonymise your personal data so that it can no longer be associated with you, in which case we may use such information without further notice to you.
8. Your rights as a data subject
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal data (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal data where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal data where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal data about you, for example, if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal data to another party.
No fee usually required
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request for access is clearly unfounded or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with the request in such circumstances.
What we may need from you
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access the information (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is another appropriate security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it.
Your right to withdraw consent
9. Limitation of Liability
By providing us with any personal information you expressly and unconditionally release and hold harmless MegaCon and its divisions, and its subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees and agents from any and all liability for any injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with the use and/or misuse of your collected personal information. In addition, while MegaCon takes efforts to ensure the proper and appropriate use of MegaCon data provided by MegaCon to third party companies, promotional partners or vendors, MegaCon is not liable for any injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with the use and/or misuse of your collected personal information by MegaCon or the above-mentioned non-MegaCon entities.